Blue Öyster Cult – Some Enchanted Evening (1978)


Artist: Blue Öyster Cult

Title: Some Enchanted Evening

Label: Columbia

Format: LP

Cat: JC 35563

Year of Release: 1978

Country and Year of Edition: US  1978 Santa Maria pressing with inner sleeve

Sell Price: $5.40 5/29/24 VG/VG

Discogs Last Sold: 12/26/23 VG/VG $6.99

Low: $1.00

Median: $5.20

Average: $5.89

High: $15.00

Current low price: none available

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 0

Have/Want: 77/51

Where Sold: White Cloud, MI

Time it took to sell:  2 years

Where and When Purchased: Facebook marketplace lot a couple year ago around $4

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go: No

 I've had a long history with this album but was surprised to see on Wiki that they claimed this to be the biggest selling BÖC album worldwide.  I always thought it wasn't as good as the the concert doubles Extraterrestrial Live or On Your Feet Or On Your Knees.  It was half the music and I wanted Reaper/Godzilla in their studio forms.  I went to the RIAA site to double check and indeed this is just as platinum as Agents of Fortune, but Agents went gold at the end of '76 in it's release year then hit Platinum certification in July '78.  Spectres went gold quickly in '78 but never went Platinum despite "Godzilla" and arena level touring that continued into the '80's.  Some Enchanted Evening didn't go Gold until 1980, a couple years after release then took until 1988 to hit the Platinum mark.  During this '80's, this album was common in "Nice Price" bins along with the first 3 (Secret Treaties hit Gold 18 years after in '92, the other two haven't).  I discovered a weird website called bestsellingalbums.org that is a rabbit hole with incomplete BÖC info, but ranks Agents above Enchanted as I would've expected in the first place.

As for Some Enchanted Evening,  I first bought a used copy in the early '80s after borrowing a copy from my childhood friend Jim McKeag.  I tried very hard to tape it on a cheap Certron 3 for a dollar blank cassette that kept getting sucked into the machine during "ETI," but I was determined.  I didn't really know that song before attempting to tape it, but I finally got the shitty Sears record & tape player to make a clean pass, so from that point on I knew "ETI" as well as the hits.  

As far as listening to this today I was noticing the version of "Kick Out The Jams" that opened side two was particularly kick ass.  Hits are hits and songs like "R.U. Ready To Rock" from the then new Specters or "Astronomy" from Secret Treaties are standards.  The Animals are still The Animals.  All is well in the world.

This particular copy I bought in a lot few years back long after the last one I had was sold and this one was in a multi record order going out.  However, I had Agents of Fortune on my brain since I had the trifecta of an LP, Cassette and remastered CD laying around, so somehow I cleaned that vinyl, played it and packed it with the order the morning after seeing Goblin do Dawn of the Dead birthday night having a third late night in a row.  Rushing on fumes to get the order together for the post office on the way to work.  Then the next morning I had the "Oh Fuck" moment looking at the Discogs order list.   I'm gonna have to spend another four and change to ship this record out separate.  Rarely happens, but what can you do?

Suck it up and move on.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan-Blood On The Tracks (1975)

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-Bob Dylan (1962)