Matthew Sweet-100% Fun (1995)


Artist: Matthew Sweet

Title: 100% Fun

Label: Zoo Entertainment

Format: CD

Catalog Number: 72445-11081-2

Year of Release: 1995

Country and Year of Edition: US 1995

Sell Price: $4.25

Sell Date: 3/26/24

Condition: VG+/VG+

Discogs Last Sold  3/18/24 NM/VG+ $1.57

Low: $0.49

Median: $2.00

Average: $3.03

High: $13.88

Current low price: $0.70

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 106

Have/Want:  1481/40

Where Sold: Flushing, MI

Time It Took To Sell:  12 years

Where and When Bought: BMG music club mid 90's in clearance

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A-

Sad To See It Go: No

Sweet's other US Gold album, 100% Fun, was the last to utilized Robert Quine and Richard Lloyd as studio musicians.  Drummer Ric Menke of the Velvet Crush is also on board.  You can see his GBH shirt in the "Sick of Myself" video, the hit that made this sell so much.

For me, the song on the album is "We're The Same"  with Menke it is right out of what the Velvet Crush were doing replicating Teenage Fanclub for the US contribution.  Matthew delivers one of those soaring vocal performances that transcend anything else on the record.  

Kudos to him and shame on me for blowing this record off the first time around despite loving Girlfriend.  I had 2 copies on the shelf when this sold, one from someone's tossed collection and the other from God knows where, I'm guessing a low end record club closeout in the late 90's where I possibly played it once without paying attention to it.  Now that I am, I'm enjoying it about as much as Girlfriend.  Enough to want to see him when he comes around in a couple weeks.  Maybe I'll wait until that happens to write about the 3rd one that sold in this order so I can get a photo to add to the bottom of the page.  Or maybe not.  Who knows where the whims of thereversecollector (TM) will blow.

So where are Quine & Lloyd?  Lloyd made it to the hit plus "Giving It Back," "Everything Changes," "Lost My Mind," "Walk Out" and my favorite of the batch where he does lead, "Get Closer."  Quine does lead on "Not When I Need It," "Lost My Mind" and "Super Baby" and also plays on "Come To Love," "I Almost Forgot" and the aforementioned "We're The Same."

Further review whose time has come.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)