Julian Lennon-Valotte (1984)


 

Artist: Julian Lennon

Title: Valotte

Label: Atlantic

Format: LP

Catalog Number: 80184-1

Year of Release: 1984

Country and Year of Edition: US 1984

Sell Price: $3.11

Sell Date: 3/8/24

Condition: VG+/VG+

Discogs Last Sold  3/12/24 VG+/G+ $1.43

Low: $0.99

Median: $2.50

Average: $3.21

High: $8.00

Current low price: $0.99

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 208

Have/Want: 4606/53

Where Sold:  Windermere, FL

Time It Took To Sell:  9 years

Where and When Bought: Worcester Albums used $3.99 sticker still on it from 1984 or 5

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: C+

Sad To See It Go: No

Lennon's first son Julian had his biggest seller with his Platinum debut Valotte.  The first two singles are inescapable.  One I liked, one I didn't.  The other two singles I forgot about, one I instantly remembered, the other I didn't remember from it's day.  So let's break them down.

The title track was the first hit and I always liked this song, even if it's destiny was to be background music at a drug store.  Theres a difference between pondering and ponderous and I found this one a cut above for top 40 Contemporary Hit Radio of the mid-80's.  Sitting on the pebble by a river playing guitar. But something is wrong.  I still like this song every time I hear it.  He had songwriter help with this one, say the credits, so it might be pushing it to say the savant like quality that inspired "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" emerges, but for a first single he knocked it out of the ballpark.

The follow up was a bigger hit and the same way I like "Valotte" the song I dislike "Too Late For Goodbyes" instinctively.  Something about this one I find a bit canned and in reality it is still the second best song on the album, even though I prefer the 3rd and 4th singles.  The harmonica solo and the scat ending gives us something a little extra.  Phil Ramone produced enough Paul Simon where he could help this lad out.

"Say You're Wrong" is likable with jaunty horn and I recalled it straight away even though I hadn't heard this album since I bought it used and gave it a single token spin a couple months after it came out.  The anti-drug "Jesse" has it charms in the details of the lyrics.  You don't hear many direct references to dime bags in pop songs.  Unfortunately, it is awash in mid-80's pomp rock.   Julian didn't write this one at all according to the credits that was someone named China Burton.

Much of the rest sounds like Walls and Bridges outtakes.  Fitting since 11 year old Julian drummed on the cover of "Ya Ya" on that record.  One may call this album Julian's lost weekend as a Rock Superstar.  I didn't even realize he kept it going with a Gold follow-up in 1986 before his music career tapered off sales-wise.  

His attempt at self psychoanalysis in "Well I Don't Know" that wraps up side one is an attempt at quality beyond the norm.  He says it plainly that he is feeling the presence of the dead lying awake at night.  But things also get a little vapid with a track like "O.K. For You." The subject sucks him in, spits him out and makes him want to scream and shout.

Whatever gets you through the night.

It's alright.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep Purple-Stormbringer (1974)

The Bob Seger System-Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (1968)

Family of God-Family of God (1996)