Mary Lou Lord-Got No Shadow (1998)


 

Artist: Mary Lou Lord

Title: Got No Shadow

Label:  Work

Format: CD

Cat: OK 67574

Year of Release: 1998

Country and Year of Edition: US 1998

Sell Price: $2.99 VG+/VG+ 3/10/23

Discogs Last Sold: 12/30/22 NM/VG+ $1.49

L0w: $0.79

Median:$2.44

Average: $3.43

High: $12.97

Current low price: $0.79

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 45

Have/Want: 365/17

Where Sold: Freeland, MD

Time it took to sell: 11 years

Where and When  promo

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: A

Sad To See It Go: Yes

Hard for me to believe this album has hit the quarter century mark, but there you have it.  Mary Lou at the peak of her commercial powers produced a pretty damn good major label effort with the likes of her established friends like Nick Saloman, Elliott Smith and Shawn Colvin playing on the record as well as Nels Cline, Money Mark and Roger McGuinn.  A credible and diverse cast of characters emerge throughout the 13 songs.

Nick's songwriting is half the album including the single from the Bevis Frond album Triptych, which really was the song that got me really into the Frond ten or so years before this, even before I met Mary Lou around 1990. I took mental note when she played it in the subway.  Everything on Got No Shadow has held up well.  At the time I thought the redos of "Some Jingle Jangle Morning" and "Western Union Desperate" were redos that weren't as good, but I was a bit of an indie snob that liked things stripped down the way they came out on the single versus multitracked and fattened up in a late 90's modern rock production.  Now I don't care, I just like to hear the songs.

Oddly enough it was the Freedy Johnston cover that was my favorite track on the album and I don't remember her ever playing it live.  "Down Along The Lea" with dulcimer and tin whistle was the other track I still like as well as the Mary Lou tragi-comedy cuts like "His Lamest Flame" and of course "Supergun."

Damn supergun won't shoot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)