The Go-Whatcha Doin' (1999)


 

Artist: The Go

Title: Whatcha Doin'

Label: Sub Pop

Format: CD

Cat: SPCD 478

Year of Release:1999

Country and Year of Edition: US 1999

Sell Price: $4.99 12/19/22  VG+/VG+ hole punch in barcode

Discogs Last Sold: 11/11/22 M/M $10.61

Low:$4.00

Median: $6.48

Average: $6.94

High: $14.89

Current low price: $3.33

Current Number on Sale at Discogs: 21

Have/Want: 285/35

Where Sold: Middletown, MD

Time it took to sell:  10 years

Where and When Purchased:  late 90's Kim's or Sounds used

Gwiz-gau Letter Grade: B+

Sad To See It Go: No

My former roommate Molly always raved about this band, so I was curious to rehear the album I liked enough to buy from hearing at WFDU when it was in the new release bin.

The opening track was what sucked me in back then.  I didn't realize Jack White was even on the album on this Jim Diamond production.  I just liked the little two note line.  Nice and simple.  Unfortunately the song "Meet Me At The Movies" ends in a slop fest and the next song "Summer Sun Blues" sounds to me like a bad Queens of the Stone Age cut.

I was ready to call this not as good as I remembered rutting hipster late 90's/early aughts rock, and the lyrics are kinda that dopey.  The harmonies and the guitars are good and that's what makes the album enjoyable for me.  "Keep On Trash" is an excellent example of all of this but those White background sweeteners make this song soar out of blahs and got my ears to perk up.

The album continues with a bunch of winners: "It Might Be Bad" sounds like like ELO meets Sweet.  "Time For Moon" sounds like Jon Spencer Blues Explosion before it goes into classic rock land. 

You can get high!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Byrds-Live At The Fillmore-February 1969 (2000)

Bob Dylan-New Morning (1970)

Various Artists-Mojo Presents The Roots of Bob Dylan (2006)